Govt Denies Attack on Nawaz Sharif's Life
ISLAMABAD: Ministry of Interior Sunday night denied any attack on Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's motorcade but rather a misunderstanding, media reported.
"The motorist, who is a former air force officer, only tried to overtake premier's car by mistake. His car's license (registration number) plate is not spurious," said a statement issued by the ministry.
Earlier Radio Pakistan reported that Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif narrowly escaped an attack on his convoy Sunday night while en route to Islamabad.
According to sources in the PM House, the prime minister, along with his family, was travelling to the capital when another car tried to overtake the convoy and hit his car.
The car was immediately forced to pull over and the driver was taken into custody, sources said, adding that the car had a fake number plate. Sources said the prime minister is safe.
The suspect was being interrogated by security officials.
A government official told AFP the man claimed to be a retired air commodore from the Pakistan Air Force and was travelling with his own family in a white land cruiser.
“He is in custody of the Prime Minister’s security team and his vehicle has also been impounded,” he said.
The official said that the incident took place a few kilometres outside the capital Islamabad.
Following the death of Lashkar-e-Jhangvi leader Malik Ishaq in a police encounter earlier this week, police officials and security experts fear the banned outfit and other terrorist groups affiliated with it may avenge the killing.
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.