Multi Billion Rupees Modaraba Scam Case: Main Accused takes Refuge in North Waziristan

Written by  Published by:Pakistan Views Tuesday, 20 October 2015 11:07

ISLAMABAD: The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) informed the Islamabad High Court (IHC) that the main accused in the multi-billion rupees Modaraba scam case has taken refuge in North Waziristan Agency (NWA) after getting a post-arrest bail form the court.

Subsequently, the IHC ordered the registration of a case against the guarantors of the accused.

“I don’t know the accused person. I took Rs30,000 from him for signing his bail documents as a guarantor,” Naseer Ahmed, one of the two guarantors, informed the court. The IHC division bench, comprising Justice Shaukat Aziz Siddiqui and Justice Athar Minallah, directed the deputy registrar to register a case against the guarantors, Naseer Ahmed and Mohammad Arshad.

As per the report submitted to the court by NAB Prosecutor Sardar Muzaffar, the location of the main accused, Mufti Ghulam Rasool Ayubi, had been traced to NWA. The report said the NAB teams had conducted raids in different cities to arrest the co-accused.

He said NAB was planning more raids to arrest the accused. The court gave NAB two weeks for the arrest of the accused persons.

The bench expressed displeasure over the failure of the authorities as well the guarantors to produce the suspect before the court despite the cancellation of his bail.

“No one will be spared if the suspect is not produced before the court,” warned Justice Siddiqui.

“Ghulam Rasool was granted bail after he promised that he would return the money to the affected people in a stipulated period of time once he was released,” Justice Siddiqui remarked.

Ghulam Rasool along with Hussain Ahmed and Mohammad Khalid were booked for allegedly cheating citizens under the pretext of an Islamic mode of investment.

The suspects ran a grocery store chain in various cities and deprived people of billions of rupees.

Ghulam Rasool was granted bail on January 13, 2015, after he submitted a schedule of payment and undertaking which was also approved by the NAB authorities. The other suspects were also granted bail against the surety of Rs1 million each.

On May 28, Ghulam Rasool was granted extension in the bail till July 13. The names of the suspects were also placed on the Exist Control List (ECL).

In its previous order on October 6, the bench had observed that the court had allowed bail to the accused so that he might deposit the amount. Despite a lapse of almost nine months, not a single penny has been deposited.

Rating: 5 Read 597 times

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.

Pakistan Views - National & International News Portal

Pakistanviews.org (Pakistan Views) stands as a website enlightening the masses with all information related to current affair, entertainment, sports, technology, etc. It has been brought into existence to ensure that voice of Pakistan reaches the masses. Ensuring that a true picture of Pakistan is portrayed in the right manner to the world. The website is to bring forth the real picture of Pakistan negating avenues of Terrorism and Non-State Actor.