Safoora Massacre: Prosecutors Left Case Due to Lack of Security and Non-Payment
KARACHI: Government deployed lawyers representing the state in Safoora Goth Bus Carnage Trial decided to step down in view of security fears, it emerged on Tuesday.
In August, the provincial authorities notified a two-member prosecution team comprising advocates Mohammad Khan Buriro and Mubashir Mirza — who have previously served as prosecutors in antiterrorism courts — in the Safoora bus carnage case.
Sharing their grievances, the prosecutors said that they had sent a series of letters to the provincial home department seeking Rangers’ protection, a safe accommodation during the trial and release of their professional fee in advance.
They said that as the held suspects were affiliated with a globally declared terrorist organisation, Al Qaeda, and the self-styled Islamic State group, it was almost impossible for them to pursue the case without proper security.
They regretted that their pleas for security and safe accommodation were not entertained.
About their fee, the lawyers said that although it was a high-profile case a small amount of Rs150,000 each was released as their professional fees. This amount was usually paid to prosecutors representing the state against an accused in an illicit weapon case, they added.
The duo said that they had communicated to the authorities concerned that they were dissociating themselves from the case.
They said that they would tender their resignations on Wednesday (today).
Tahir Hussain Minhas alias Sain, Saad Aziz alias Tin Tin, Asad-ur-Rehman alias Malik, Hafiz Nasir alias Yasir and Muhammad Azhar Ishrat alias Majid have been booked and arrested for their alleged involvement in the killing of 45 people of the Shia Ismaili community, including 18 women, in an armed attack on their bus near Safoora Goth on May 13.
Fishermen Cooperative Society vice chairman Sultan Qamar Siddiqui, his brother Hussain Qamar Siddiqui and Sajid Naeem are also in police custody for allegedly helping the main suspects.
The bail applications of suspects Sultan and Sajid are also fixed for hearing on Oct 22.
A few days ago, the Counter-Terrorism Department of police also detained two businessmen for three months for allegedly financing the deadly attack.
Sources said that the trial was unlikely to commence any time soon since a final investigation report was still awaited.
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.