128 Killed, Scores Injured, State of Emergency Declared, Borders Closed in France
PARIS: France has declared a national state of emergency and closed its borders with neighboring countries after at least 128 people were killed in a night of gun and bomb attacks across the city of Paris, dubbed as the deadliest since World War II.
Around six to seven venues were simultaneously attacked across the city where armed men wearing suicide vests burst in killed and injuring scores. Multiple explosion and shooting were heard in different parts of Paris on Friday night.
BBC reports at least eighty people were killed when gunmen burst into the Bataclan concert hall and took dozens hostage during a performace by a US Band. The siege ended when security forces stormed the building.
In five other simultaneous events number of people were shot dead at bars and restaurants in Paris.
A series of powerful blasts were heard in the city and two of them occurred near a stadium where a football match between France and Germany was being played. Three people were killed in these explosion outside the Stade de France north of the capital, police said. Spectators flooded the pitch as news of the attacks spread. Organisers started evacuating the stadium by three doors.
Eight attackers are reportedly 'neutralized' per law enforcing agencies. Police believed all of the gunmen were dead but it was unclear if any accomplices were still on the run after the string of near-simultaneous attacks.
Later, French president François Hollande visited the attacked concert hall and while speaking to media persons said France is going to fight the terrorists. “France will be merciless in its fight against terrorists,” he said.
French president François Hollande in his brief media talk termed the attacks in Paris most significant and declared state of emergency across the country.
Paris residents have been asked to stay indoors and about 1,500 military personnel are being deployed across the city.
Describing the attacks as barbaric, the President said the French nation will continue to stand united and firm against the terrorists.
Hollande announced to seal French borders in a bid to stop the attackers from fleeing and called for military reinforcements to bring the situation under control.
French police said the attackers executed two suicide attacks and one explosion through a bomb.
President Francois Hollande and Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve announced that a crisis cell had been set up.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but Twitter erupted with celebratory messages by members and sympathisers of the Islamic State, the extremist group based in Syria and Iraq that is under assault by major powers, including the United States, France and Russia.
Later it emerged on Local channels that self-styled Islamic State had claimed responsibility for the attack basing it on assault attacks on their organization in Syria and Iraq by major powers, including the United States, France and Russia.
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.