Russian Won't Go to War With Turkey Over Downed Jet
MOSCOW: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Wednesday that Moscow was not planning on going to war against Turkey after Ankara’s downing of a Russian fighter jet.
“We do not plan to go to war with Turkey, our attitude toward the Turkish people has not changed,” Lavrov told reporters after speaking with his Turkish counterpart, but warned that Moscow would “seriously reevaluate” its ties with Ankara.
Russia’s foreign minister also said that the downing of its fighter jet by Turkey appeared to be a “planned provocation” as the incident heightened tensions between Moscow and Ankara.
“We have serious doubts about this being an unpremeditated act, it really looks like a planned provocation,” Sergei Lavrov said at a press conference in Moscow.
Earlier on November 24, Turkey shot down a Russian military plane on the Syrian border, local media reported, citing military sources.
A plane exploded in the air and the fireball fell on a Turkmen mountain on the Syrian side of the border, CNN-Turk and NTV televisions reported.
Meanwhile, the Turkish presidency said the warplane shot down by Turkey was Russian, adding the aircraft had violated Turkish airspace.
A day after the downing, President Vladimir Putin backed a recommendation from the foreign ministry for Russians not to visit Turkey after the downing of a Russian fighter jet by Ankara.
“After such tragic events like the destruction of our plane and the death of our pilot, this is a necessary measure,” Putin said in televised comments.
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.