None Take Responsibility for the Syrian Air Strikes Killing 50 People Mostly Babies
At least 50 people were killed in air strikes on three medical facilities including a children's hospital in northern Syria on Monday, UN Officials reported.
The carried air raid are yet to be determined as none of the parties have claimed responsibility and have condemned and negated the event.
On Monday evening, UN chief Ban Ki-Moon called the strikes "blatant violations of international law", with a UN spokesman saying the attacks had "cast a shadow" on the ceasefire agreement made between the 17-country International Syrian Support Group last week.
At least 14 people were reported killed when bombs hit a children's hospital in Azaz.
"We have been moving scores of screaming children from the hospital," medical aid worker Juma Rahal told Reuters.
A video posted by a French NGO operating in Syria reportedly captured the first moments after the attack, saying that there were "no terrorists or combatants, only babies".
According to Storyful social news agency, Syria Charity built the hospital.
Two other hospitals in Maaret al-Numan, Idlib province, were also hit. At least seven people were reported killed when four bombs destroyed a hospital supported by the Doctors Without Borders (MSF) charity.
Air strikes also hit the National Hospital on the north edge of town, killing two nurses, the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and opposition groups in Syria said.
MSF said it believed its hospital was attacked by either Russian or Syrian government forces, while Turkish officials separately said Russian planes hit the Aleppo hospital.
Neither report was independently verified or confirmed by the Russian government.
Syria's ambassador to Moscow, Riad Haddad, said the hospital had been the target of a US raid.
The United States, which like the UN did not identify who carried out the air strikes, said two civilian hospitals were hit in and around Aleppo in northern Syria: one run by medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) and another in Azaz city.
Fears of an escalation of the five year civil war were further sparked as Syrian government forces and Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) fighters reportedly took Tel Rifaat on Monday night, a key town enroute to the city of Azaz where air strikes fell on Monday.
As Turkey shelled Syrian targets across its border for the third day in a row, Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said on Monday his country would not allow Azaz to fall to Kurdish fighters. Meanwhile, Russia's defense ministry said Turkey's shelling was "open support to international terrorism".
Syrian government forces reportedly told Al Jazeera late on Monday that they planned to continue their march to Azaz, a flashpoint town in Aleppo province near the Turkish border, where it would appear a major escalation in fighting could occur.
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.