ISIS kills 142 in a Suicide Bomb During Friday Prayers
Suicide bombers in the Yemeni capital Sanaa blew themselves up during Friday prayers at two mosques used by supporters of Shi'ite rebels, killing 126 people and wounding 260, medical sources said, in the country's deadliest militant attack in years.
Islamic State, an al Qaeda offshoot that has seized large areas of Iraq and Syria, claimed responsibility for the attacks, in which four bombers wearing explosive belts targeted worshippers in and outside the crowded mosques.
The Sanaa bombings happened as unidentified warplanes attacked the presidential palace in the southern city of Aden for the second day.
Anti-aircraft guns fired on two planes which dropped bombs on an area that includes the residence of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi. He was unharmed, sources at the presidency said.
Yemen is torn by a power struggle between the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in the north and Hadi, who has set up a rival power base in the south backed by Sunni-led Gulf Arab states.
The mosques in Sanaa are known to be used mainly by supporters of the Shi'ite Muslim Houthi group, which controls most of northern Yemen, including Sanaa.
The rise to power of the Houthis since September last year has deepened divisions in Yemen's complex web of political and religious allegiances.
One witness said he heard two successive blasts at one of the mosques, known as the Badr mosque, in a busy neighborhood in central Sanaa.
"I was going to pray at the mosque then I heard the first explosion, and a second later I heard another one," the witness told Reuters.
The United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned "the terrorist attacks" inYemen and called on all sides "to immediately cease all hostile actions and exercise maximum restraint," according to a statement by U.N.
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.