Nigeria claims rescue of nearly 300 women, girls from Boko Haram stronghold
Nigeria's military on Tuesday claimed the rescue of 200 girls and 93 women from a notorious Boko Haram stronghold, but said there was no confirmation the hostages were those kidnapped from Chibok a year ago.
"Troops have this afternoon captured and destroyed three camps of terrorists inside the Sambisa forest and rescued 200 girls and 93 women," defence spokesman Chris Olukolade said in a text message, referring to the area in northeast Borno state where the Islamists have bases.
"It is not yet confirmed if the girls are the Chibok girls. The freed persons are now being screened and profiled," he added.
Olukolade gave no indication as to how long it would take for the hostages to be identified.
Boko Haram claimed the abduction of 276 girls from a secondary school in Chibok, also in Borno, on April 14 of last year.
Fifty-seven girls escaped within hours of the attack but 219 remained in captivity.
In the weeks following the mass abduction, Nigerian security sources and locals in Borno said there were indications the girls had been taken to the Sambisa Forest.
But defence officials and experts agreed that they were likely separated over the last 13 months, casting significant doubt on the possibility that they were being held together as a group.
Boko Haram's leader, Abubakar Shekau, vowed to "marry them off" or sell them as "slaves."
Ayuba Alamson-Chibok, a teacher who has campaigned on the girls' behalf, told AFP that he doubts those reportedly rescued from Sambisa on Tuesday were from Chibok.
"I believe it is not possible for our girls to be in one place," said Alamson-Chibok, whose two cousins are among the hostages.
Nigeria's military has in the past released misleading and inaccurate information concerning the Chibok girls, including claims last year that Boko Haram had agreed to their release.
The Islamists have been blamed for hundreds of other kidnappings, especially targeting women and girls across northeast Nigeria.
Amnesty International estimates that the Islamists have kidnapped at least 2,000 women and girls since the beginning of last year.
The Chibok attack brought unprecedented worldwide attention to Nigeria's Islamist uprising.
It also sparked sharp criticism of the government's initial response to the drama, with outgoing President Goodluck Jonathan accused of indifference and of trying to downplay the severity of the kidnapping.
Celebrities and prominent personalities including US First Lady Michelle Obama joined the Twitter campaign #BringBackOurGirls that attracted supporters worldwide.
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.